Packing your hospital bag for a labor and delivery experience can initially seem overwhelming and simply scary. All of those feelings are totally normal…at least they were for me. I promise you, if you don’t pack a bag for whatever reason, you will be just fine. However, if you try to be 10 steps ahead like me, there are some essential items I would recommend packing. I’ve compiled a list to take some of those scary and overwhelming feelings away from you as you prepare for your new arrival!
Although Kinsley made her grand entrance 4 weeks early, I did happen to have my hospital bag packed and ready to grab-and-go…like I said…10 steps ahead 🙂 Here are the items I felt were the most essential for my experience (I’ve even linked the exact ones I used):
1.A Good Bag
I use my Stella and Dot bag for everything. I love it because it has the option to expand in order to make the bag larger. It has a front pocket, an inside zip pocket, and 3 other storage pockets inside. Super easy to organize and carry!
2. Essential Loungewear
- Every new momma needs a good robe for the hospital. Personally, I would suggest a lightweight robe over a big fluffy robe just for comfortability reasons of being in a small hospital bed. I found my robe at Macy’s and absolutely love it! I still use it at night when I wake up to nurse.
- Sweatpants and/or shorts are an absolute must. I picked up 2 new cozy jogger-type pajama pants that were life changing. After birth (vaginal or c-section), you are uncomfortable in your lower region…the greatest feeling for me was changing out of my hospital gown into these pants.
- If you plan on packing any shirts, make sure they are soft, comfortable, and nursing friendly (if you plan on nursing). I grabbed a couple Henley shirts American Eagle that were button-down, but didn’t end up using them in the hospital because my preference was nursing tanks under my robe.
- Get yourself an awesome pair of non-skid slipper socks or legit slippers. I registered for these slippers and absolutely love them. I still wear them daily around the house because I am a freak about slipping on my hardwood floors with Kins.
Obviously you want your essentials- toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, dry shampoo, shampoo/conditioner, body wash, face wash, and any skincare products you normally use. However, I also was glad I packed these:
- Makeup remover towels
- Deodorant wipes
- Hand lotion
- Basic Makeup (for that photo-op)
4. Postpartum Products
The hospital provides you with some really great essentials, so you don’t have to pack much. They give you pads, ice packs, tucks pads, mesh underwear, perineal spray bottle, and ibuprofen. I also found it very helpful to bring these:
- Depends (way more comfortable and user-friendly than the mesh panties). Grab these ones, they are super soft and comfortable. I actually enjoyed wearing them…weird?
- Nipple Cream– the hospital had me pumping right away and after every feeding, so needless to say, my girls needed some extra love. I’ve used two kinds so far and love them both. Here they are→
- Nursing Tanks and/or Nursing Bras– SO necessary. I packed both, but just lived in my nursing tanks under my robe and it worked out wonderfully. I grabbed my nursing tanks off Amazon and my favorite nursing bras from Kindred Bravely. Worth every penny!
5. Wish List
Some things I wish I would have brought with me that I didn’t end up bringing to the hospital would include:
- Pillow from home (hospital pillows are so flat and uncomfortable)
- Cozy blanket (hospital blankets are just so stiff)
- Boppy or nursing pillow of your choice to make that process more comfortable and natural feeling
- Quick & easy snacks
I’m sure some of you expert mommies have some hospital bag essentials that I missed or overlooked. Please feel free to share them with me! I’d love to know what you found essential for the hospital!